Reports or Visualizer searches frequently time out before presenting the report or search results. The user may see the following message:
Report generation is taking longer than expected. Please wait a few minutes and run your report again.
If they try again, the report still times out.
There are several reasons why Visualizer or Reports may not complete a search before the allotted search time expires. These reasons are:
- The summary file for one or more of the selected dates needs to be generated. Subsequent queries for these dates will be faster once the summary files exist.
- The search parameters include multiple dates, increasing the amount of data to search and summary files to create.
- The search is very specific (searching for a specific resource or telephone number).
- The call volume for the site is high, making summary file generation lengthy.
- Visualizer is set to return a large number of results.
- Any combination of the above.
Several solutions are available for overcoming searches that time out. These include:
Increase the Summary Generation Time-Out Value
Increase the time-out value entered in the Windows registry:
- Open the Windows Registry Editor. Refer to Editing TASKE Registry Keys for more information.
- Browse to the following DWORD value registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TASKE Technology\Call Management\Reports\SummaryTimeout
- Change the DWORD value to a larger number of seconds. Note if this key doesn’t exist, you should create it.
- Re-start the TASKE Information Server by opening the TASKE Console, selecting the Information Server in the list, click the Stop and then the Start toolbar buttons. Restarting services during business hours is not recommended due to data loss. This should occur at off-hours.
The ASP Script Timeout in IIS may also need to be increased. The following Microsoft articles may be of assistance:
- Microsoft TechNet Article: Setting the ASP Script Timeout (IIS 6.0)
- Microsoft TechNet Article: Edit ASP Settings in IIS 7.0
Wait a Few Minutes and Try the Search Again
When a search time-out occurs, the application is no longer attempting to retrieve the data, but the summary file generation has already begun at the Information Server and will continue until all requested summary files are generated. Visualizer search results are provided by these files. Waiting a few minutes and trying the search again may prove to be successful because the required summary files are now available.
Decrease the Number of Search Results to Return
The preferences for Visualizer allow users to determine the number of records to return in a search. The default number of records to return is 500 and the range is 1 to 1000.
Enable Automatic Updates for Summaries in Information Server
This option allows summary files of the day’s data to be generated automatically at a user-defined interval. Visualizer search results are provided by summary files. Having summary files already generated when Visualizer requests data significantly decreases the search time because the summary files are not being generated on demand.
Enable automatic summary generation in the Information Server by enabling Enable automatic updates in the Summary Generation Options dialog available from the Configure menu.
Revise the Filter Parameters
If the search continues to time out, try revising the filter parameters. The filter may include too many days or be too complicated to return the requested information before a time-out occurs.